Installation of a heavy duty polyurethane floor System at Kusile Power Station’s Unit 4 Auxiliary Bay Battery Room
BKV Holdings was contracted to the Stefanutti Stocks and Basil Read Joint Venture to install a Stoncor Stonclad UT heavy-duty polyurethane floor system at Kusile Power Station’s Unit 4 Auxiliary Bay Battery Room.
Our State of the art solution entailed:
Bund preparation and application, which involved:
- Grinding the surface of the bund wall with grinders equipped with a diamond-cup wheel;
- Removing all dust using high power vacuum cleaners; and
- Applying a 75mm x 75mm x 25mm Pro-Struct 618/22coving fillet.
Floor preparation and application, including:
- Scarifying the floor substrate with diesel scarifying machines to obtain a perfect profile and exposing the aggregate in the concrete to provide a bondable surface for the UT System. Working in a confined area, the machines were equipped with extraction fans. Importantly,
- Removing all dust using high power vacuum cleaners.
- Opening the existing 30mm x 15mm joints using a grinder equipped with a diamond-grinding wheel.
- Covering the open joints with a 40mm backing cord to ensure that the chemical did not enter them.
- Applying Stonclad UT (5000u).
- Applying a final of Stonkote HT4 coat (300u) to the bund wall and floor. It comprised two coats (150u),
Joints application, including:
- Removing the backing cord and all contamination from the joints;
- Replacing the new backing cord; and
- Applying Pro-Struct 749/849 joint sealant.
The following equipment was used on this project:
- Extraction fans;
- Industrial-vacuum cleaners;
- Power blenders;
- 25l mixing pails;
- Notched trowels; and
- Spiked rollers.